Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Spiced Plum Jam can be made while on a Cleanse!

          

Well, I went to my favorite place to pick plums, and the tree was loaded.  I think part of me was hoping there wouldn't be a great crop this year, as I was starting a cleansing fast, and didn't know if I would be able to create a jam without tasting.....I am a 'taster' as I cook, and who wouldn't love to eat fresh jam!


I decided on a slightly spicy jam this year, and went the easy route and used a bit of pectin.
-12 cups of diced plums
-1/2 tsp cinnamon
--1/2 tsp ginger
-1/4 tsp allspice
-a couple of dashes (or 4) of black pepper (it just sounded good)
-2 cups of 100% fruit juice (I used some pomegranate and white grape)



I followed the directions on the low sugar pectin I bought, but then didn't put in as much pectin as they called for....maybe half.  Stirring all this together and bringing it to a boil, the aroma of just the right amount of spice and fruit was devine!  Jeff  thought the spice needed a bit of balance with a bit more sweetness, so in went
-2 cups organic raw sugar


Nine half pints of beautiful jam, plus a pint to put into the frig (without processing) and also a small cup
left for eating right away.....alas, not by me for a few more days....but Jeff sure enjoyed his mid-afternoon desert!




No comments:

Post a Comment